Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Post 1

Q: What has had the greatest effect on your political attitudes: The place where you live, your family's party affiliation, or your cultural background?
A: Honestly, my... party identity has really been shaped by the fact that my parents are pretty darn conservative. So, my parents are Republicans, not super-hardcore Republicans, but pretty far to the right, and you know teenagers, never hesitant to rebel. Okay, so that was a bit general...but it's true for the most part. The funny thing is, my mom gave me a little quiz when I was...I think six, and I was declared a Republican. Now that I look back on it, I think mommy dearest might have given a biased quiz. The only question I remember was whether I thought abortion was okay. I responded, "Yeah. Wait, mommy, what's abortion?" Well, that's a wonderful question to be hearing from a six-year-old, now, isn't it? (I'm a Democrat and against abortion, so maybe mom...I don't know, let's not go there.) So yes, throughout my childhood I had a Republican identity, and admittedly, that lasted through the first part of my teen years. Then came the 2008 elections, and I started joking...well...complaining ...that I almost wished the Dems would win the next election so they'd quit complaining. Ironic, I know. But then I started listening to their arguments, and, wonder of wonders, they made sense. I took a few online quizzes to see where I really stood, and sure enough, I came out on the left (just barely, but still) and oddly enough, I wasn't surprised. Almost relieved. So now I knew I was a Democrat, and I didn't exactly flaunt it, but my oh-so-observant parents knew it anyway. (Note to self: Parents might be psychic aliens from a distant galaxy. That would explain a lot.) Apparently when I turn 18, my only options are to register as Republican or Independant. Because, obviously, if I'm a Democrat, I eat puppies as a hobby. (That was sarcasm, calm down.)

No comments:

Post a Comment